The Parish began with Mass at 16 Ramsgreave Road on 16 October 1924, catering for the population of the Ramsgreave, Wilpshire, and Roe Lee areas. The Wilding family gave land next to the Cemetery to build a temporary Church, hence the name of “Holy Souls”. It opened 2 May 1926. This is the only Catholic Parish with this title and the special tsk of praying for the dead. Each Saturday during November, the names of the dead with connections with the Parish are read out. After World War II, the Parish fund raised for a new Church and School. They hoped that the two buildings would be on the one site but that wasn’t possible.
The present Church was opened 19 July 1959 and the new School on Wilworth Crescent 18 May 1976.
The Parish Hall serves the Parish and the local community when requested.